Spring just can’t get here fast enough! Thank goodness for March Morpho Mania at the St. Louis Butterfly House where you can get a jump on spring no matter what the weather is doing!
What is March Morpho Mania?
March Morpho Mania is the Butterfly House’s annual blue butterfly festival–they will release THOUSANDS of big blue beauties in their conservatory. This is my favorite time to visit the Butterfly House! The Butterfly House is normally full of a variety of butterflies, but during Morpho Mania the place is SWARMING with Blue Morphos.
They usually have special hands on activities during March weekends, though the Butterfly House website is not listing any details. In the past we’ve colored butterfly cutouts, made butterfly sand art, studied butterflies under a microscope and generally learned what makes a butterfly tic. I’ll update with more details as I find them!
UPDATE 2016: I tracked down a rep from the Butterfly House and found that Sand Art is back this year ($2.50 a piece) and there will be activities EVERY DAY. On the weekends they’ll bring in “artisans” and have animal encounters…like petting their giant cockroaches.
March Morph Madness is all during the month of March. They are open from 10am to 4pm, and they will still be closed on Mondays. Tickets are $6 for adults, $4 for kids and free for little ones under 2. (Seniors get a dollar off.) If you’re a member of the Missouri Botanical Garden, congrats–you get in free.
Tips for visiting the Butterfly House
- The Butterfly House can get pretty crowded during March Morpho Mania, so you’ll need to leave your stroller outside. The paths are just too narrow!
- The conservatory (where the butterflies live) are kept at a tropical 85 degrees and heaps of humidity. It’s actually just like a St. Louis summer, so dress in layers.
- There’s a coat closet. Use it.
- If you’re visiting on a really cold day, the temperature swing can fog up your camera. Keep your camera as warm as possible while walking from the parking lot (tucked inside your coat!) so you don’t spend forever waiting on it to acclimate.
- Don’t forget the Faust Park Carousel next door!
Butterfly House Coupon
The nice people at the Drury Inn have a dollar off coupon to the Butterfly House here. There’s also a buy one, get one half off coupon to the Magic House you can snag while you’re there.
The first Tuesday of the month (March 1st) is free for St. Louis City & County residents from 10 am to Noon. It gets pretty crowded, so strollers are not allowed.